Wednesday, October 05, 2005

You went away but haven’t bidden me goodbye

You were my ally – my calming voice amidst the heavy thunderstorms, my steady hand when the world shook, my guiding hand in the middle of the deep blue sea, above all you were my rock. Never have it occurred to me that you would leave me that early; I was hoping for more years of adventures with you. Yet life can play its silly tricks on us and whisked you away.

You were gone in an instant, all alone inside your car just a few steps away from the hospital doors. Why must you leave us without bidding your goodbye? Why must you leave by your lonesome when we were always there for each other at most times? Maybe you don’t want us to see your suffering or your countenance when the realization hits you that that was the end.

You don’t like seeing me cry but I can’t stop the tears flowing from my eyes. I felt cheated. We were cheated of a life filled with more promise. You were a great man – a man of God and a man of the people, a man of great courage and intelligence, and a man of conviction and integrity. You were taken when there were others who deserve death earlier than you did. But who am I to judge who should go and who should stay? Maybe that’s the reason for your leaving early on, that you legacy shall forever be untarnished.

Like what I have said before: “We shall meet again.” No goodbyes for us.

Today is a special day for my family: though this is one day wherein we could never feel simply being happy or sad. My brother is celebrating his 29th birthday, while we are also commemorating the 14 years of our Dad’s passing.

No comments: