Monday, July 10, 2006

Man of Krypton

I said I only love two superheroes, and I'd still keep that count at that. Superman Returns was awesome! Thanks to the oh-so-chiselled look of Bandon Routh that made me believe that Superman can truly exist and emerge straight out of the pages of a comic book. Forgive my girly gushes but this demi-God from planet Krypton is one hot alien; I wouldn't mind seeing four or five more Superman movies with him donning the cape.



The first time I saw the new Man of Steel was on the above pic. And I am so sorry that I wasn't impressed then; for the photograph doesn't look nice at all. It made him look short, and that the new colour was disturbing, the "S" sign was too small, and that the codpiece was obscenely protruding. But after a few minutes of seeing him on screen as Clark Kent, I'm sold.



Bryan Singer made the right choice in getting an unknown and thank heavens that the idea of casting Nicolas Cage as Superman fizzled. Superman Returns picked-up the story from where Superman II left off, and I'm glad it did, because the third and fourth films by Christopher Reeves looked like B-movies. I have not been following the story in the comic books, but I could tell that this film did not follow that storyline. I could only hope that they would tackle "the death of a friend" in the next movie - they put Superman in a coma for Chrisssake!

The characters in this film are interesting except for Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane. She looked pretty much blank - devoid of any expression; five years of Superman's absence robbed this lady of some spunk. Kevin Spacey could never go wrong as Lex Luthor; he's a very gifted actor that can make one quiver with just his voice. No wonder James Marsden's Cyclops died early in X-men: The Last Stand, because he had to do a lot of hero stuff in this film. With the lame Lois Lane we are getting, I wouldn't mind her ending up with Marden's Richard White.

No comments: