Tuesday, September 05, 2006

There are no better cosmetics than a severe temperance and purity, modesty and humility, a gracious temper and calmness of spirit

Herman and I passed by the cosmetics section of Seiyu at Bugis Junction a week ago on our way to the Cold Storage, a grocery shop. He made a remark that got me miffed for awhile; he asked me why women bother to put-on some make-up when they look the same anyway. I am not sure where to put the blame on whether it is a man thing or simply because he can sometimes be oblivious and can't see past those foundations. I pity now those who spend fifteen or thirty minutes in front of the mirror going thru those compact make-ups, eye shadows, mascaras, eyeliners, lip liners, lipsticks, and blushers; I never thought that all those hard work can be for naught.

Back when I was still working in the Philippines, I put on make-up when I go to the office; but when I moved to Singapore I got lazy and decided to give my skin a rest. So I just go to work with nothing on my face except the needed moisturiser; it did wonders to my skin for it is a little bit sensitive. As time moved on I finally added wearing a Lancome's Juicy Tubes ultra shiny lip gloss and a few months later I bought a Hermes Rouge lipstick. So for a year those are all I have inside my "kikay" pouch. Last June, a couple of weeks before we went back to the Philippines for a vacation, I stopped by the cosmetics section at Paragon and thought of buying a compact make-up for me to use when I attend those wedding ceremonies I have to be present in.

With much thought on my sensitive skin, I decided to shy away from the previous brands I had used, but then those brands I haven't tried before are the most expensive ones. After checking-out all the other products I decided to buy the Lancome foundation and loose powder with my eyes closed as they swipe my ATM card burning a minute hole on it and me praying that they would work on my skin and not cause any breakouts.

Well, thank heavens it did work for my sensitive skin and I am now loving this brand; I even bought a mascara even if the Shiseido one is way cheaper. Now, I wear make-up again to work because I have to use those costly things I bought for they will be worthless in a year. And guess what comment I got from a Filipino guy colleague, he said there's something different with my eyebrows (he actually meant eyelashes) and that I might have done some kind of hocus-pocus.

No comments: