Thursday, August 31, 2006

Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity

Teacher's Day is celebrated in Singapore far different from the way we celebrate it in the Philippines. Back when I was a kid at school, I remember that we only give small tokens - personally made cards or cut-out flowers done in an artistic way or if Mom and Dad are a bit richer, probably a chocolate bar - on that special day and classes go on. In here, it is or school holiday and teachers are given more lavish gifts; Josh gave his teachers boxes of specially made brownies - definitely not done by me, of course.

Now that Josh is attending real school - he's in nursery - I am learning quite a lot about this country's educational system. If you think that a Nursery class is such a breeze, I tell you now that it is not that easy both for the child and the parents. Things that were taught in school have to re-inforced at home. He really needs to learn his letters and numbers at this age else he'd be left behind; whilst in the Phillipines, you can attend Primary 1 (or Grade 1) without going through that kindergarten stage; the kid might need to do some catching-up but he will definitely survive.

Singapore has a higher standard of education but it is both taxing to the child and the parents; I have seen it in my officemates and friends, not to mention how hard it is to get admitted in some of the schools you might have in mind. Just to enter Primary 1 is a tedious process; they have different tiers for admittance and each tier has its own number quota, so what schools normally do is balloting or giving out queue numbers at a specific date; so if you did not make it to the quota, tough luck find another school. School year starts in January and as early as June parents of incoming Primary 1 students are already busy scouting for the best schools; some even go ealier than that by voluteering at their desired school in order to get a priority slot.

I remember when I was on my Junior year in high school and we moved from Mindoro to Palawan, my Mom and I went to the Palawan State College's high shool office in the morning to ask if I can transfer to their school and later that afternoon I already attended my first class in that new campus. As for Josh, who will start his K1 next year, I am going to start looking for the best Catholic school. I actually want him to go to La Salle but it's quite far from our place, else we move house.

No comments: