Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Writing is an exploration

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I have already completed Roald Dahl's two books, which I bought less than three weeks ago. For my standard in reading, I'd say it took me awhile to finish them. Not that the books are a bore, it was the other way around, actually – twenty-four short stories of different topics and unconventional twists – it just so happened that a lot of crappy things got in the way. I have already mentioned five of the stories in here, but I guess I'll share you one more story. The Great Automatic Grammatizator, was set in a time where computers were just starting – back when they are as huge as building.

On to the plot: A young computer genius wanted to be a writer, but his stories weren't accepted for publication in any magazines. And so he had drafted a new computer design and presented it to his boss, it is a new computer that will write stories following the formulas the readers would love. His boss agreed and so his dream came into fruition, and behind a publishing company they just put up, they chuck out stories the editors couldn’t resist. The machine was later modified to write novels and because of greed, their own publishing company started to buy out real authors to never write again but instead allow the great machine to write novels under their name. Towards the end, the story shifted in first-person, as a struggling writer listens to his nine hungry children cry and tries to resist the lure of the "golden contract" seating next to him. 'Give us strength, Oh Lord,' he prays for all true artists, 'to let our children starve.'

Wonderfully written and subtle jokes could be found. One reason I like this story very much, is because it tackles a lot of issues, technology, ghost writers, and writing itself. Though much has advanced in terms of technology since this story was written, we still don't have such an intelligent application that could write on its own. Unless, they have kept it from us all this time – imagine picking-up the latest novel my John Grisham, not knowing that he didn't actually wrote it. Or right after the seventh Harry Potter book comes out, they would announce that there'll be another set in the works for this series – wouldn't you ask yourself, will Jo still be writing that one? Technology still can't match the brilliance of a working mind. Though we now have the spell checkers and grammar checking add-ons in our word processors, nothing beats the old-age editor with a keen eye.

A word is a bud attempting to become a twig. How can one not dream while writing? It is the pen which dreams. The blank page gives the right to dream. – Gaston Bachelard

When did I discover the love for the written word? Blame it to my parents who love books, we have our very own library in our basement. I was the kid who knows nothing about playing jack stones and Chinese garter, but you could find me in a corner reading something. I shared this passion with my very best friends; I remember those days when we would rush to the school library during breaks to take out the latest Sweet Valley High. Yes, during my high school days, I immersed myself to romances, Sweet Dreams, Mills and Boons. But for someone who started with romance novels, I had completely veered away from them when I entered my college years, and hasn't looked back since.

I admire people who can write – more so those who could write so much with just so little words. I don't write well, and I'm not sure if I'm getting better. Though, let me tell you a secret, I enjoy seeing essay parts in our tests. During my grade school and high school years, I joined the school paper, but I didn't do any literary works. Whenever there's a need to do research work, that's when my juices start flowing. (Oh, please! Don’t be such a perv and think of other things.)

And so I write, as a way out from the pressures of reality and as avenue to hone my creativity. It kept my brain at work – it brings me to a place where I can be myself, create a world I wanted. I am now on a personal quest for self-betterment, hoping to accomplish more for my soul.

Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go. – E.L Doctorow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://glmsvxol.com/riys/qdxv.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://dfmoliuv.com/jjux/jpzf.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://glmsvxol.com/riys/qdxv.html | http://dhfiewvw.com/qzkq/ngax.html