Monday, December 19, 2005

Nothing happens by chance, my friend... No such thing as luck

I’m not a person who has luck at raffle draws, except if it’s a draw wherein everybody wins – even in that, I don’t win the major prizes. When it comes to games, my team don’t normally win either. Last Saturday was a different day; an anomaly perhaps. I have never ever felt that lucky in my entire life.

It all started the Wednesday before that when I was busy reviewing the list of clues of all the codes used in our Kris Kringle. Every year (for three years now) in Maybank, for our exchange gifts we all have codes we keep dearly to ourselves. Each week, we give out a clue pertaining to our code together with a little gift to our babies; this clue, however, is broadcasted to everyone. The main aim is that during the revelation day, each one has a shot at guessing all the codes. This time, last Thursday was the dateline for the submission of our guesses. Whoever has the most correct answers win; if by chance that there’s a tie, the person who sent the answers earlier gets the prize. This is a high stake competition, for the main prize is an iPod (maybe not new, but is from a generous person who regularly updates his techno gears); so, the competition is fierce. Some codes can be easy to guess, while others are excruciatingly hard; aside from that, the selection list has bogus codes (8 out of 30). People, who have the time, gave gifts to their babies and therefore revealing that that code is a possible answer. Just imagine the pain that not all of them gave gifts? It’s a good thing for the receiver, because his code could never be on the radar of possible answers; most especially, if he gives hard clues.

It’s Wednesday and everyone is cramming to get their answers right. There are those who even formed alliances and shared to each other their take on each code – explaining each clue (even giving ridiculous reasons just so it could fit into the code). I was having a problem with three sets of clues because my list of possible answers is one code short; and I can’t think of any code that would fit to one set of clues. But lo and behold, one generous Mommy/Daddy gave a set of gifts to his/her baby on that fateful day (maybe just to spite that person); thus, revealing another code that was not on my list. From then on, I was able to match all the clues with their corresponding codes. In another twist of fate, one person approached me at the end of the day so that we could share answers. Luckily for me (unfortunately for him), he gave me his code (one of the hardest to identify). I actually have guessed it right but it was purely based on pure elimination (the only set of clues without any answer and the code without any corresponding clues). So, I went home that Wednesday night with a smile on my face (I didn’t reveal my code to anyone, of course) knowing full well that I got all the codes sitting neatly with their corresponding clues. All that was left to do was a few googling to confirm my answers. And so, at 2 am Thursday, I confidently sent my entry thru email to our game master.

You don’t know the sleuthing I have to go through just to get those codes right. I guess all the “reading between the lines” in the Harry Potter books helped. And sometimes being such a conniving bitch helps, too. I know my code could be guessed by elimination, but fate was on my side, for another set of clues can fairly point to my code as well. There are a few clues that can’t be explained, of course; but if you’ve got five or six clues out of twelve fitting in one code, it’s definitely a go. So what I did was hammer on that. I pretended that I don’t have a clue on who is Monsters, Inc (that’s my code) either; then stir them into that other set of clues and gave logical explanations on how they could fit into my code.

By Thursday afternoon, when all the entries got in, our Game Master released the set of bogus codes; from there, I was able to tell that I’m on the right track, and that that iPod is within my grasp. Then came the Saturday party, and little did I know that my winning streak was still on its high gear. On the first game of the day, I knew that I’m not gonna be raking any prizes except for that raffle draw where everyone wins and that Guess the Code contest (I may not win the grand prize, but there’s the second and third place to hope for). Wheels started turning again when I became part of the team that made a ridiculous Santa with a humongous head and looks like an elf and won. In the Taboo game, I know we were dreadful (I know I am); but having luck in my pocket, our opponent spouted taboo words like a whistling kettle and giving us points instead.

Then the ever awaited Game Ka Na Ba? started, and I knew then that I can never ever enter the big eight for you need to guess 1980s songs from lyrics given by the game master. I’m not good in music trivia – in any decade. I tried hard though to recall those years when I was but a young lad. The six slots were already filled and the game master blurted the lyrics of my favourite Michael Jackson ballad, I Just Can’t Stop Loving You. You guess it right, I got in. First category I picked is movies, and I named the six Bagets cast members out of eight possible answers. The second category was countries beginning with T (picked by the opponent); I only bid three, he said he could name four. I called his bid and knew right away that I’m out in the running when he named the first country that’s not on my easy list of countries. But by heavens! To my surprise he was only able to give three, and so I moved on up the ladder. Last and final challenge was to name the presidents of Singapore. I said I could only name one and was completely bluffing the whole time because I could not even recall the name of the current one – much more even pronounce it correctly; my opponent was even looking at a piece of Singapore dollar, where you can find the image and name of the first president. So when he said he could name two, I relented and surrendered all hope of ever winning the contest. Again, by goodness! He was only able to name one correct answer. So I won the other coveted iPod prize for that day.

The revelation of the codes came and my answers were confirmed that they were indeed all right. The third placer got one code wrong; then the game master announced that the second placer got the perfect score (I knew it was me for there were others who submitted their entries way ahead of me). But then it was another name that was called, so I got that other iPod again. Finally, the best in character costume, where I also won third place for the Mike Wazowski eye made by Josh’s nanny, Che-Che.

It was a huge horde and my family and I went home with a huge smile on our faces as Mike has.



We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like? – Jean Cocteau

No comments: