Saturday, December 03, 2005

Then came the princess

Almost twenty years ago, my Mom surprised us with the news that she’s pregnant. I was a huge news because, well, my brother is ten and I’m already… Oh! You thought I’m going to divulge my age then so you could do your maths. All right, to spare you the calculation, I’m thirty-one, which makes me twelve around that time. Just imagine, a middle-aged couple with two kids entering their teens, and here comes another one. What a great shock! My brother and I never thought that we could have another sibling again.

When my Mom returned home to San Jose a week after giving birth in Quezon City Medical Center (we were all born there), we were so excited as we waited for them at the airport. I couldn’t believe that I have a baby sister – my very own breathing, little doll! And, of course, she became the darling of everyone.

My Mom gave her the name Renee Joyce. Renee was taken from my Dad’s old nickname, Rene; while Joyce because she’s born in December. She was supposed to have Nenee for her nickname, but my Mom changed her mind because I might turn into a Nene. My Dad lovingly calls her Poponggay (ask me not where he got that) or Pops or Pongay for short. We even named our pet parrots while we were staying in Puerto Princesa with endearing nicknames. But now, she’s either RJ or Buday (ask me not about this one, too).

Well, imagine now; she just turned nineteen yesterday. Our little girl has grown up. Gone was the tyke whom I would buy clothes from Cinderella and one who would wear the little costumes I had sewn and piece together. She’s a courageous young woman like my Mom; more than I am.



To RJ: You may not remember the times you have spent with Dad, you were barely five when he left; you’re always with him wherever he goes – always sitting on the front passenger’s seit of his car. He might be gone, but he’s with you all the time. Mom, Kuya Gie and I may not be there always, but Dad is and he’s just a whisper away. We love you.

Happy birthday!

No comments: