Thursday, May 19, 2005

Face the thing you fear the most

Have you seen the third Harry Potter movie (Prisoner of Azkaban) shown last year? No, I'm not going to make some movie review. There is this creature introduced in this film, a boggart. You may ask, now what is a boggart? It is a shape shifter that prefers to live in dark, confined spaces, taking the form of the thing most feared by the person it encounters. So, when Ron stepped forward to face the boggart it changed into a giant spider (more like Shelob if you watched Lord of the Rings or Aragog in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets); he fears those creepy little buggers the most. The only way to rid of this thing is to think of a silly thing to make you laugh and say the spell Riddikulus.

Let's consider this possibility then – just as hypothetical – that boggarts live in our world. What would your boggart turn into? I feel like Boy Abunda in here saying: "Nan d’yan sa harap mo ngayon ang salamin, sabihin mo sa akin kung ano ang nakikita mo." As for me, I am not sure really what it would look like, because as time may go by it may show something else all together, for the one thing I fear the most is failure. Just like Hermione, for we have the same fear.

Failure. Whenever I would fall short of what was expected from me. Whenever I would feel insufficient. Whenever my strength or effectiveness declines. Whenever I cease to properly function or perform. Becoming insignificant and useless.

I face my fear every single day. And everyday I stared at it and think of a happy thought and do something to make me more useful, significant, sufficient and effective – preventing myself from being an utter disappointment.

So what is your boggart? Can you look at it straight through your eyes and cry out Riddikulus?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. – Mark Twain

No comments: