Sunday, May 01, 2005

Motherhood: All love begins and ends there

Here's my early Mother's Day piece. I was watching an episode of the Oprah Winfrey show a few weeks ago and heard Celine Dion sang this song, and it truly tugged my very soul. It is titled A Mother’s Prayer, an off-shoot of the prayer popularized by Josh Groban (I'm not sure which was the original, they're David Fosters')

I pray you'll be my eyes
And watch her where she goes
And help her to be wise
Help me to let go

Every mother's prayer
Every child knows
Lead her to a place
Guide her with your grace
To a place where she'll be safe

I pray she finds your light
And holds it in her heart
As darkness falls each night
Remind her where you are

It is truly heartrending and speaks of what's in every mother's thoughts. We all want our children to be looked after at all times. We don't want our kids to go through so many hardships, yet we know deep inside that in suffering can they only learn. Our thoughts and hearts are always filled with apprehensions, dreams, aspirations, confusions, and fears – different emotions as many as the colors a prism could reveal.

I can still vividly recall every single moment that day when I gave birth to my little devil angel, and even though the years would go by and my hair will all turn white and my memory will begin to fail me, those moments will forever be etched in my mind – like all mothers do. I have a short threshold for pain, so I will forever be thankful to the wonder that is the epidural. I admire those women who were able to withstand the agonizing minutes or hours of trying to pop those little kids out, without any pain relievers.

And so, I wear those stretch marks like a badge of honor, forget about those days of having a flat belly because they're gone and ran off with the circus – unless, of course, you could afford the ten sessions offered by Marie France to look like Christy Cheung. Yes, that's her smiling smugly on the webpage. Damn her for making it look so easy to go back to the pre-pregnancy figure, fooling our husbands into coaxing us to aspire for that as well. If only they have the money to pay for it, why not? I wouldn't mind. (How 'bout that, Mary?)

Hugs and kisses to all sexy and alluring mothers from another hot Mama.

No comments: