Saturday, September 03, 2005

Anybody who wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organizing and campaigning for it is not to be trusted with the office

So, do you want to know what’s life like in Singapore? Let me see if I could keep you abreast of what’s going in this little first-world country. Their president, S. R. Nathan, had just sworn in for a second term of office a couple of days ago.

He was re-elected for another six years and I haven’t seen any elections nor any campaign. Strange, isn’t it? Well, because on the Nomination Day (yes they have that) last August 17, there isn’t any qualified candidate but him. I wonder what kind of qualifications do they look for in a candidate?

Can’t Philippines do the same thing? Weed out the bad eggs before they start campaigning and slugging rotten issues against each other. If we have stringent requirements, will there ever be a candidate who’s fit to lead our country?

Anyway, in my five years of staying in this country, I haven’t heard the Singapore’s president speak of anything more than a couple of sentences. For me, he is just some figure head with a ready smile and waving to the people during the National Day Parade, receiving the huge cheque during the President’s Charity Show, and someone who stays at the Istana (more like their Malacañang here).

No comments: