Friday, September 09, 2005

The highest ecstasy is the attention at its fullest

I’m still reeling – more like swellheaded, actually – from the compliment I got from one lurker on this site. He thinks my place is cool because of two brilliant things in pop culture these times: Harry Potter and Rob Thomas. Okay, I’m a little bit obsessed with all things that concern that boy wizard and I think Matchbox 20 is pretty cool.

Enough of that; now onto weird things I chanced upon today. I found it odd this morning, as I took a sit in the train on my way to work, to find not one, not two but three police officers decked with their bats, guns, radios, PDAs, and handphones going up and down the aisle looking like they’re checking up on suspicious faces. All right, it might not look odd or weird given the terrorist attacks in other countries, but this is Singapore! Oh, do I sound like a local now? Maybe because there are news spreading around that this little first-world country is now next in line of countries to be bombed, that is why they are so ever vigilant. These young men looked like they couldn’t hit a fly much more accost a suspicious looking individual; they haven’t got the look of scruffy guys who would walk away unscathed from a scuffle; that’s where their high-tech guns and PDAs probably come in.

In a place where a lot of people have earphones stuck on their ears connected to their iPods or Creative Muovos, it was weird to see a young girl carrying a CD Radio Cassette Recorder or Boombox and that she had earphones connected to it. It was like seeing the initial release of the cellular phone – with bags a big as a notebook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

at least the police are checking, it's more comfortable to ride trains with police checking passengers than none at all...or else
Rizal day bombing could happen to Singapore...but you can never tell if these things are the handyworks of muslim extremists or just the CIA...