Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Rojak Pot

I so totally love this podcasting feature in iTunes; I can now listen to muggles sleuthing about the latest Harry Potter book on my way to work. Yes, yes, yes. I know; too much Harry Potter in my mind; can’t help it, I’m delusional. iPod Nano was released last weekend and is now available at the nearest Best store.

I just read another series of articles about the Guen and Jane affair (aka the Filipina Grisly murder). Husbands of both women just couldn’t believe that their wives fought over the love of a “very tall and handsome” (quoting that from the papers) Singaporean taxi driver. Not to disappoint families of overseas workers at home, but this thing isn’t quite surprising to me. You’d see most of these domestic workers on Sundays (on their day-off) milling around Orchard Road with Indians or Pakistanis dogging them, or they’re just lounging the grassy patches at the Gulong-gulong (Rolling) Park which is just a few paces from the Orchard MRT station where the bag containing the head was found.

Enough of the gory stories; I still can’t get into the Filipino tele-serye psyche. Ikaw Ang Lahat Sa Akin is just too weepy; Kampanerang Kuba is riddled with idiots; Mga Angel Na Walang Langit is better as it tackles tribulations of the Filipino youth, though sometimes they tend to lean on being too melodramatic. Pinoy Big Brother is different; it kinds of showing what the real Filipinos are right now: gone are the naiveté of young women, guys do cry over broken relationships, and there is such a thing as metro-sexual men; but some things still remain the same: the ugly people would have a hard time getting good-looking partners, dogs will hump at any moving object and Filipinos love to sing.

No comments: