Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A child changes everything

Children come into the world with their own agendas.
Some to brighten our days...
Some to test our patience...
Some to give us purpose...
Some to take care of us...
Yes, when they come children change everything.


Do those lines sound familiar? If you watch Desperate Housewives they would definitely ring a bell; I took them from an episode in Season 1. For a Mom, like me, these lines will struck a cord, tug in our hearts, and will make us think… true. They are true.

I got an invite from a friend saying that after our dinner together, maybe we should go clubbing and go to the eye-ball party of the Filipino IT community here in Singapore. I declined and said I'll only stay 'til dinner. I can't even believe myself that I was sputtering those words. There was another one who asked to just go out and have a few drinks on Friday night; I said 'no' to that one too. I have finally realized that my lifestyle is suddenly changing.

My whole world took a certain detour when I had my little boy; the clubbing nights were almost lessened to those spent with my husband and other married friends; partying would mean going to a child's birthday or christening party. Gone were the days where I spent the weekends watching movies, walking along Orchard Road, or shopping. I can't even watch my favourite TV shows now religiously. Here's one example:

I asked my husband to give me one hour of alone time during Monday nights so I could watch Desperate Housewives; most of the time they oblige, but sometimes they don't. Two weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch watching another episode of Desperate Housewives in the living room; all of a sudden, my husband comes out from our room telling me that our son wouldn't let him turn off the lights so he could sleep. I told him just to leave the lights on to avoid wailing on my son's end. A few minutes later, it was my son who approached me and told me to turn on the lights inside our room. These two were testing my patience. I guess it wasn't just my life that took a detour.

So when my friends ask me why we don't have a second child yet, I simply gave them a knowing smile. I am actually taking care of two kids right now, and I am still enjoying it. I am not yet ready for another swing in our life into another direction. For now, I'll bask in my first child's agenda.

If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children. – Mohandas Gandhi

No comments: