Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A father's hand will never cause his child a needless tear pt.2

I stayed with a second cousin (far older than I am) in an apartment and at the same time kept a place in a boarding house near school when I began my first term in DLSU; half-way through it my Dad gave me a visit as he was in the city for another one of his regular meetings and executive check-ups. We shop and he brought me to my great aunt's house and told me that I'll be moving there. I did not like the idea at first – though my room was big – because it was a long commute to school. He said that I'd be taken cared of more in there; he’ll feel more at ease that he knows who looks after me – not like I had any choice. We said goodbyes when it was time for him to go back to Palawan – not knowing that that would be the last time we’d see each other.

I was looking forward for the one week break between the first and second terms, but my hopes were quenched when my grades arrived and they weren’t up to par at what my parents had expected; so I had to stay and study. Middle of the new term I got a call to go home urgently; our life had changed since then.

Never had it crossed my mind that I’d be losing a parent early on; I had dreams of seeing them together old enough to see our children. Well, life can sometimes play tricks on you; we all had this way of believing or dreaming of things such as forever to liberate us from the all-known fact that our lifetime is just but one minute dash in time.

I was angry. I was hurt. I felt like I had been cheated on. Luckily, before all those anger turned into hate, someone pulled me back and pushed me to see the ultimate reason for his passing.

I have not yet said my final goodbye to him; for in my heart and in my mind, he is still with me. How could you say goodbye and try to forget all the good memories? We talked then and we still talk up to now. I know that he is watching over us, guiding us, and protecting us. He shared my sadness and my joy, my defeat and my triumphs. I’ve been lost once somewhere in oblivion and agony, and he found me.

I miss you, Dad. And I can’t wait until we’ll see each other again; but until then, remember that you will never be forgotten.

No comments: